Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Amusing Ourselves to Death Chapter 2 & 3

In chapter 2 and 3 of the book "Amusing Ourselves to Death", Postman gives out 3 warnings regarding  media as a epistemology. The 3 warning are that changes in media do not change people's cognitive abilities, the shift probably won't include everything, and TV pollutes public communication and its surrounding landscape. I felt like all of the warning made sense and all of them are still true as of today. I was more interested in the 2nd chapter than I was in the first one and I was able to understand everything more easily because I was more interested in the things I was reading.
Chapter 3 was a little less entertaining, but it should provided some factual information that helped to support some of his claims. He discusses de Tocqueville's influential book "Democracy in America" and tells the reader to go out and seek it. He says that a lot his research came from that book and that it helped draw some connections with his own findings. The book is looking a little more interesting than I first thought, but it still looks like it is going to be a slow read.

No comments:

Post a Comment